Exceptional 19th Century religious procession banner. Incredible detail and quality. It shows Mary praying on one side and St Anne teaching Mary as a child on the other.
Mary is on a green silk background and has real rosary beads hanging from her arm. She is surrounded by embroidered leaves and a bow. St Anne with Mary are on a cream silk damask background surrounded by leaves. Fringes at the bottom are in cannetilles, spiralled metallic thread
It is unusual to find a banner with Mary and St Anne.
Faces and hands are painted on strong cloth. The bodies are made of gold thread and sequins and rhinestones as well as small metallic decorative pieces. The figures clothes are not drawn but actual applied layers of fabric and silk for the drapes. There's so much applique, its almost three dimensional!
Damage to the very delicate silk on the cream side as can be seen in the photographs. Some incredible repairs have been done at the top of the banner. There is a large black stain on the cream side also. There are smaller paint stains to the green side.
There are multiple repairs on the top edge.
Construction is silk over a canvas/muslin inner. The horizontal and vertical support bars shown are mine and will NOT be included.
The photographs are an accurate depiction. As the notes below explain, this isn't pristine! this is used and authentic and hence aged!
Dimensions including fringes : 83 cm / 32.7 ins width 130 cm / 51.2 ins length
The pictures are part of the description.
Import duties and taxes are the buyer's responsibility.
Thanks for visiting Cabinet de Merveilles! **************************************************************
- Everything is sent with a tracking number. We post everything within 3 working days. Everything is packaged safely with sometimes recycled material.
- If a parcel arrives damaged, it is the buyer's responsibility to file a complaint immediately with the delivery service. Any insurance is void unless this is done at delivery time.
- We can’t predict how long Customs may hold on to items for inspection.
- We don’t make a penny from P&P and we charge you what the post service charges us!
RETURNS AND REFUNDS
- If there is anything you are unsure about or if you need further information about an item to re-assure you please ask before buying. We aim to provide as much information as possible and make our listings as accurate as we can.
- Refunds are only for the item price and not for shipping costs and will be issued when we get the item back.
- If a returned items is received damaged the loss in value will be deducted.