Because of restrictions on insect specimen imports in certain countries, I only ship within the EU. Amazing antique box of mounted moths / butterflies. Perfect for Lepidopterology and Entomology! the box is wood with a hinged glass cover. The butterflies are pinned, not glued, to proper mounting board at the base. This is one of a number of different butterfly boxes I have for sale- please look at the rest of my shop! These are all from the same collection.
Some of the butterflies have name tags, though occasionally these have a "?" on them! Most of the butterflies are undated but some also have dates which range from the 1945 to 1974. We are not expert enough to know if names match the butterflies. Box is marked "Etablissement Deyrolle, 46 rue du Bac, Paris", the Paris Natural Science store famous for entomology and taxidermy. Deyrolle was created in 1831 and Emile Deyrolle took over in 1866. In 1888 they moved to their current location in Rue du Bac. They are also famous for their Cabinets of Curiosties which were mainly lost in a fire recently
The box is intact with some wear at the edges around the glass and some scuffs to the brown surface. The glass is firm and uncracked. The butterflies have all been mounted properly. Condition of the individual insects themselves varies but as far as we can tell they seem broadly intact, though we would not expect all to have full sets of limbs or antennae. Please note that many of the butterflies were pinned in the 1940s and so the pin or body parts may fall in transit to you. Also, the boxes do not currently have loops or rings for wall hanging, though this could easily be added.
Its very rare to find a box in condition this good. This is must for collectors as well as anyone with an interest in natural history!
Measures: 38.9 x 25.8 x 5.5 cm / 15.3 x 10.1 x 2.2 inches
The pictures are part of the description.
Import duties and taxes are the buyer's responsibility.
Thanks for visiting Cabinet de Merveilles! **************************************************************
- Everything is sent with a tracking number. We post everything within 3 working days. Everything is packaged safely with sometimes recycled material.
- If a parcel arrives damaged, it is the buyer's responsibility to file a complaint immediately with the delivery service. Any insurance is void unless this is done at delivery time.
- We can’t predict how long Customs may hold on to items for inspection.
- We don’t make a penny from P&P and we charge you what the post service charges us!
RETURNS AND REFUNDS
- If there is anything you are unsure about or if you need further information about an item to re-assure you please ask before buying. We aim to provide as much information as possible and make our listings as accurate as we can.
- Refunds are only for the item price and not for shipping costs and will be issued when we get the item back.
- If a returned items is received damaged the loss in value will be deducted.